Monday 20 August 2007

How to Make a Quillow


Hello Crafting Buddies !! back from holiday now. Have just spent a week in Yorkshire with my parents which luckily included a trip to the seaside for my 19 month old daughter ( latest pic below ) I simply HAVE to find time to work out a scrap booking page for this pic - its adorable !


One thing I did get chance to do whilst relaxing, was to spend a nice lot of time finishing a lap quilt I am making in co-hoots with my sister in law. We have thoroughly enjoyed making a "Rumble in the Jungle" lap quilt, quillow for our other sister-in-law who was married on Safari in Kenya last week. The design has been achieved with stip work into a version of rail fence blocks.
"What is a quillow?" I hear you shout - well a quillow is a quilt with a pocket on the reverse into which you can fold the whole quilt and make a pillow !!!
How to make a quillow
The general rule of thumb is to measure the length and width of your quilt; divide these measurements by 3 and that is the size of pocket you need. Add the pocket in the middle of one of the shorter sides, against the edge of the quilow. I always bind my pocket to match the rest of the quilt, but it important to remember not to bind the side that will run along the edge of the main quilt. You can tie this into the overall main binding to get a perfect fix.
The other tip when making a quillow, is to ensure that you afix the pocket initially on 2 sides only. You will always need to leave an opening for folding the rest of the quilt into !!!
This is the characteristic that makes a quillow pattern unique - you have to be able to fold the quilt in a triple way fold into the main quillow pocket.
If anyone wants to know any more, please leave me a message or email me via the main website : http://www.nimblefingers.biz/
How to make a quillow pattern and tutorial will be available on my website next month.
Have a good week !
Nat x


2 comments:

Traci Cornelius Blog said...

OOOOOOHHHHH Love it - want to do it!!! Please teach me..... by the way your site www.nimblefingers.biz looks fab! You have been a very busy lady ;)

Anonymous said...

This is great, wonderful blog and it is by someone I actually know! The quillow sounds really novel and all the bits you are collecting for the store sound fabulous. Can't wait for the opening - have called my daughter to tell her so we can come up and shop till we drop! Your hard work is really paying off now - best wishes from Pat Warren